How to make child rows indent in a report that rolls up multiple plans?

Brent Ross
Brent Ross ✭✭
edited 02/18/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

I need to roll up detailed plans across multiple sheets, and have the parent child relationships be really clear by having child rows indented, just as they are in the original plan. Is there a way to make sure that child rows indent under their respective parents in a report?

Thanks!

Brent

Tags:

Best Answers

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Brent Ross

Hierarchy is specific to sheets, so the Parent/Child relationship won't be visible in the Report in the same way. Reports evaluate the sheet on a row-by-row basis without the Hierarchy.

You could add a "Parent" column to your Source Sheet and bring in the Parent Row Name into each child row, like so:

=PARENT([Task Name]@row

Then you could use the Group feature in a Report to Group by that Parent name, if that helps. See: Redesigned Reports with Grouping and Summary Functions

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hi Genevieve,

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you're saying about adding a 'parent' column to the source sheet and then using that to drive a grouping in the report, but I'm not sure how to apply the string and syntax you've provided to do so.

Can you provide a bit more detail to guide me? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Brent

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Brent Ross

No problem at all!

The formula above is what goes in to the helper column (as a Column Formula) so you can automatically return the Parent value:

• That worked! Thanks!

One follow up question - is it possible for me to format the group header rows in a report, or am I stuck with the giant font that results?

• I'm glad to hear that worked for you! 🙂

No, there currently isn't a way to format the Grouped header row in a Report, but you can let our Product team know about your feature request to have this customizable by filling in this form, here.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• I have been unable to use Reports for many scenarios where it would be very useful due to the inability to maintain sheet hierarchy, which is generally very important for the overall organization of that information. The issue with using Groups is that the order always gets alphabetized (where row order in the sheet matters) and multiple levels of hierarchy cannot be shown. Please incorporate new functionality to enable use of sheet hierarchy in reports.