Message Column Formula Syntax error

SKP
SKP ✭✭✭
edited 03/08/22 in Formulas and Functions

Hi folks,

I've needed to extend a formula to add in a lot more people under more conditions. I'm getting the syntax error but I don't think it's the quote marks and the column that the formula is in is definitely 'text/number'.

Currently, there's a formula with 5 IF statements that works with no issues with each statement like this:

=IF([Assigned To]@row = "ABC department", "Colleague name" etc.

The new changes are dependent on a couple of columns so I was going to add in some IFs and ANDs to navigate that:

I've done that like this for the 12 extra colleagues that need adding, (using a different formula that I know works and contains IFs with ANDS to guide me):

Per colleague remit:

=IF((AND([product]@row = "ABC", [sub-product]@row = "DEF"), "Colleague name"), 

I hope this isn't too minimal an example - does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Many thanks,

Sarah

Tags:

Best Answer

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @SKP ,

Without seeing the actual formula, it looks like you currently have an extra set of parenthesis.

=IF(AND([product]@row = "ABC", [sub-product]@row = "DEF"), "Colleague name",IF(AND([product]@row = "GHI", [sub-product]@row = "JKL", "Other colleague name", IF(AND...

Hope this helps! If it doesn't fix it and you want to provide a screenshot of your formula, you can redact any sensitive information.

Best,

Heather

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!