Copy to another sheet without duplicates

Options
Kimbh
Kimbh ✭✭✭✭

Hi, is there any way to set up a copy row by field type to another sheet automation without ending up with a lot of duplicates on the sheet it copies to? Thank you

Tags:

Answers

• Umesh Shah
    Umesh Shah ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can using a helper field. Create a new column which tracks the fact that this row has already been copied; like a checkbox field.

Let's say you create a new column called [copied] which is a checkbox. In your automation, you need to make the following changes.

1. when you evaluate which row should be copied over, you need to include an additional condition: AND [copied] field is NOT CHECKED
    2. After the action to copy the row, add another action which checks the [copied] field.

Now your automation will only copy rows which have not already been copied and will check the [copied] box as it copies new rows over.

Let me know if this what you are looking for.

p.s. you can hide the new column as well

• Kimbh
    Kimbh ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I could have an automation clear all the checked boxes each evening at like 10pm and the next day when I go to update the master report, I could check the box of what I want copied over.

Love your idea, thanks

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Kimbh

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Umesh's excellent advice/answer.

• Another option could be to use cross-sheet formulas and INDEX/MATCH to check if there's a match in the other sheet, and that could check a box or similar in the sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Huong
    Huong ✭✭
    Options

Hi @andree@workbold.com,

Would you please explain how to use cross-sheet formulas and INDEX/MATCH to check if there's a match already exist in the target sheet and copied same data into the existing row so there's no duplicates? Thanks!