Form for lookup and display

Options

I have setup a ticketing system on SmartSheet using forms for submission of the tickets. Can I use the form function to have the user query the sheet? For example, a user submits a Request, and then later, for them to be able go to a form and key in the Request # to look up the result.

Tags:

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @ABratton

There are a couple of approaches that might work for you.

Using the built-in automation on the sheet, you could email the user the results. This is very straight-forward to set-up if the user email address is already available.

The other approach is to create a new sheet that would be a query sheet -

On the Query sheet they would input the request # and a lookup will immediately return the results to them. You could then 'publish' the sheet so that anyone with the URL could access it without the need to share them to the sheet.

If you are interested in either of these approaches and need assistance, let me know, I'm happy to help.

Kelly

(Below is an example of a query sheet. The user inputs required infomation (in this example a region) and a result pops up in another column. The sheet only uses one row as the results are not saved.)

• ABratton
    Options

Kelly,

Thank you for the suggestions. Can I do this using a form or do I need to do it granting access to the sheets themselves?

Thanks again.

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

ABratton

A form cannot perform lookups directly. It you chose to, you could use a form for a user to provide the ticket number and insert their email address. You could email them their result. Know that manually typed email addresses often contain typos.

In the example I posted above, I created the sheet with the embedded lookup formulas then I published the sheet with permissions to anyone that had the link. I added the link to a portal (also published). This allowed anyone to access it without me having to provide sheet access. My sheet never has more than just the two rows that are shown above.

Let me know how I can help you with your next step