Census Information for a company

Is there a way to add and delete employee info with an automation and formula. I need to get accurate count of how many people are in the company and what tier they fall into. I would like to have an up-to-date sheet. Updated Census Sheet

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @dbarton25428

If you already have a current list somewhere, you can import this in to Smartsheet as your starting point.

Then you could have a form to fill out a new row when there's a new Employee, and a Workflow to Move a row from this sheet into an "Archive" sheet when an Employee leaves. Something would need to trigger this workflow to send the row away, so you could have a checkbox column that's manually checked when someone is leaving the company.

The count would then be easy, as all you'd need to do is use COUNT to see how many rows there are in this sheet.

If you're a System Admin for your organization, you can see a list of the employees who are members of your Smartsheet plan in the Admin Center. See: Admin Center Overview

Cheers,

Genevieve

• This seems to be a harder problem then I thought, if an employee is active on a sheet and we use their social as there unique identifier then they are terminated, can the original record be automatically changed from active to terminated on the sheet? if so what would be the formula to do so?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @dbarton25428

How are you recording that they're terminated? Smartsheet would need some sort of trigger in order to know there was a change and the row should be updated.

You can use a Change Cell Workflow to automatically update a sheet based on a trigger (such as if you check a box or if a date has passed).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Marvin Daniels
    Marvin Daniels ✭✭✭✭

If you have a source file (i.e. HRIS or payroll system) and if you have access to Data Shuttle and Pivot (that will depend on your smartsheet plan), you can import the data and pivot to slice the data in a number of ways. We're currently developing a workflow to import from our payroll vendor, but our biggest hold up is acquiring the right dataset from our vendor, which has proven challenging.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!