Multi-step workflow vs. Conditional paths

Options

I have a workflow that I want to build that does not stop at the first conditional block it comes to that is true.

So for instance, I need to send out an email to various markets once a task is done. So if a task has been done for AU, NZ and IN, I need three separate emails to go out to each market (this information is being pull from the "Market" column). If I use conditional paths, it appears that the flow stops once the first true condition has been met - for instance if I state "send this email if AU is in the market column" it will not go to the next conditional path to see if that condition is true too for NZ or IN.

I set up a multi-step workflow (by which I mean vertically instead of horizontally in the automation) instead of a conditional path, but again it appears that it stops at the first condition and doesn't continue down the list to see the other emails that need to be sent.

Other than setting up a separate work flow for every market, is there a way to get automation to check all of the conditions and process those that are true?

TIA

Sasha

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Nesasha L

Condition Block pathways (horizontally) will stop as soon as it finds one path that is "true", as you've found. (See: Condition Blocks: Filter What Your Automated Workflows Send).

The vertical way should continue down all actions specified, but in this instance it will stop as soon as there's a blocker where the condition is not true. This stops the workflow at that point, it can't skip over that Condition since it's in the vertical path.

The way I would achieve what you're looking to do is to set up separate workflows, as you noted... one for each separate alert you'd like to send out. This will also be more manageable down the line as you add/remove markets: you can simply Clone a workflow and adjust the criteria, or delete a single workflow without editing a complex build.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Nesasha L

Condition Block pathways (horizontally) will stop as soon as it finds one path that is "true", as you've found. (See: Condition Blocks: Filter What Your Automated Workflows Send).

The vertical way should continue down all actions specified, but in this instance it will stop as soon as there's a blocker where the condition is not true. This stops the workflow at that point, it can't skip over that Condition since it's in the vertical path.

The way I would achieve what you're looking to do is to set up separate workflows, as you noted... one for each separate alert you'd like to send out. This will also be more manageable down the line as you add/remove markets: you can simply Clone a workflow and adjust the criteria, or delete a single workflow without editing a complex build.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now