Automated Workflow to send Managers a Report Link

Hello Smartsheet Community,

PROBLEM: I have created an automated workflow to send out a link to a report I created for the teams upcoming tasks over the next 2 weeks. However, I've begun the practice of sending the reports to myself first as a test, so that I'm not spamming Managers with erroneous reports. Good thing, because for some reason, the automation is sending an alert 3 times to 1 Manager, and once to another. It should only be sending 1 alert for each manager.

AUTOMATION SETUP: This is an Alert set up to run every Tues at 7A where the End Date is within the next 14 days, and % Complete is less than 1, and Health is NOT Blue. At this stage of the project, there aren't many upcoming activities, but it would be great to utilize as the project moves into the Capital phase.

REPORT SETUP: The Report has similar conditions, display activities within the next 14 days where % Complete is less than 1. The count has 2 items, and the returned rows are the 2 items coming up in the next 14 days. It would be great for the report to only display the Contact Person's information, but I believe that can only be done at the Request Update Automation level, not in a report. Is this correct?

Any assistance, or brain storming on this would be very much appreciated. Have a Wonderful Winning Wednesday, on purpose! 😊

~Tashawn

Best Answer

• Katy H
    Katy H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Tashawn

One thing to note is that the way you currently have this report set up should not trigger multiple emails to a single person. So I would reach out to Smartsheet support to report the issue.

But if you are open to trying other options, you can also send a smartsheet report as an attachment on a recurring basis, which might be another way to handle this communication with key stakeholders. You can create a report that filters for similar information based on your conditions set here and then schedule the report to send out regularly and include a link to a report that filters for "current user" so that Primary Owners will only see items assigned to them.

An article discussing how to do this can be found here:

Katy Hall

Head of Product Management

ILLA Canna

LinkedIn

Answers

• Katy H
    Katy H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tashawn, are you able to show a screenshot of the workflow? If you are sending a link to a report, you can actually just set up a recurring workflow that doesn't have any conditions and is based off of a date based trigger.

If there are conditions then any individual item that falls into that category may trigger a notification depending on the build of the workflow.

Example of this type of notification below:

**NOTE: if I am just sending a link to a report than I won't include links to sheet and fields.

You can also trigger automated recurring emails from a report as well.

Katy Hall

ILLA Canna

LinkedIn

• Hi Katy,

I'm attaching a screenshot here. I believe when I tried it without the conditions, it sent a mssg for every row in the schedule. That is why I said for only the next 14 days, but I'm open to learn more ways to do this much more efficient.

Thank you for your assistance.

• Katy H
    Katy H ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Tashawn

One thing to note is that the way you currently have this report set up should not trigger multiple emails to a single person. So I would reach out to Smartsheet support to report the issue.

But if you are open to trying other options, you can also send a smartsheet report as an attachment on a recurring basis, which might be another way to handle this communication with key stakeholders. You can create a report that filters for similar information based on your conditions set here and then schedule the report to send out regularly and include a link to a report that filters for "current user" so that Primary Owners will only see items assigned to them.

An article discussing how to do this can be found here:

Katy Hall

ILLA Canna

LinkedIn

• This is great Katy. Initially, what I was trying to do was, create a report with this information and then schedule the report to send out regularly and include a link to a report that filters for "current user" so that Primary Owners will only see items assigned to them. However, I was missing something, which is why I decided to just try to send the link as an "Alert Message" using the same conditions. This is actually what I was looking to do. I will review the link, and hope that this will provide the guidance I need.

Thank you so very much Katy. Have a Magically Value Driven Day... on Purpose! ☺️

Tashawn

• Katy H
    Katy H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Tashawn I hope you have the same!

Katy Hall

ILLA Canna

LinkedIn