Sharing Permissions - Workspace + Reports

Hello Smartsheet Community!

I am having a heck of a time trying to find the right combination of permission levels to share Reporting.

We need to share the source sheets that the reporting is pulling from.

We don't want these users to be able to "edit" the source data, but we do want them to be able to filter the Reports we are sharing with them.

Right now we're having to make everyone an Admin for everything to give them the ability to do what they need to do, and that is not something we're comfortable with for the long term.

I was hoping with the new "Commenter" role, we'd be able to use that level for the source data and "Editor- Cannot Share" for the report, but still no dice.

Also, some of these users may not be licensed users, so I don't know if that plays into this as well.

Thanks in advance for the help! Cheers!

Answers

• Katy H
    Katy H ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nancy Heater

So this is a complicated process, what exactly are you needing the team members to be able to do in the reports. Ideally shared reports should not be changed once they are created. The goal is to create a report that remains static in its filtering to remain dynamic in its data reporting.

For example: I want a team member to be able to see the tasks assigned to them that are past due to allow them to quickly update the status and comments on past due tasks. I would create a report that filters for past due tasks and would filter the assigned to column by the user in question.

They would be shared to the items in the following way:

• underlying sheet(s) - Editor
    • report - Editor

These permissions will allow them to update data but will not allow them to make column level edits to either sheet or report, and they will be unable to change any filtering features of the report.

Hopefully this helps explain!

Katy Hall

Head of Product Management

ILLA Canna

LinkedIn

• Antonio Figueroa
    Antonio Figueroa ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would use the lock rows automation when new row is added and then just give them editor cannot share. They will be able to filter the sheet but not change any cell values.

• Antonio Figueroa
    Antonio Figueroa ✭✭✭✭✭✭

but remember to lock rows that are currently there.

• Nancy Heater
    Nancy Heater ✭✭✭✭✭

If I lock rows that prevents other editors from being able to edit. This is my challenge right now. There is no good "in-between" access for reports. I really wish the reports could be shared apart from their source data, but still allow people to filter as needed. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Nancy Heater

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to previous excellent advice/answers.

• Have you explored using the Premium App, WorkApps?

Is that an option?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.