Calendar App Grouping

Matthew_Lanterman
Matthew_Lanterman ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hello,

I have a multi select column called 'Venue' that contains 4 values to choose from:

A,B,C,D

I want to group by Venue in Calendar App, but the app wont recognize the unique value in the column, and instead creates groupings based on the total group in the cell.

Meaning, I want to have a cell in the sheet with A,C,D in it, but group the calendar by A, then C, then D. But Calendar App creates the grouping 'ACD'. A report also will not group on a unique value.

How can I split out the grouping to have one calendar? Right now, I have 4 calendars, one for each venue, and it is a bit clunky.

Best Answer

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @Matthew_Lanterman

The "Grouping" function in the Calendar app currently creates categories to group by based on all values selected in a cell whether those are a single one or multiple. When you have a moment, please let our Product team know about your feedback by filling in this form, here. Thank you! 

In my own testing I was able to apply different colours to each task by creating separate sheets for each venue and then consolidating the view for all venues through a Report and then use that Report as the source for the Calendar and group data by the Sheet Name Column in the Report, this creates individual categories based on Venues even if a tasks appears in different venues but on the same date as shown below: 

If creating different Calendars or consolidating each venue tracker in a single Report and using the Report as the source of your Calendar aren't suitable options, the only alternative I could think of would be to create duplicates of each row in your source sheet and assign a single venue value to each row using a single select dropdown instead. 

I hope this can offer some insight. 

Cheers! 

Julio

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi @Matthew_Lanterman

The "Grouping" function in the Calendar app currently creates categories to group by based on all values selected in a cell whether those are a single one or multiple. When you have a moment, please let our Product team know about your feedback by filling in this form, here. Thank you! 

In my own testing I was able to apply different colours to each task by creating separate sheets for each venue and then consolidating the view for all venues through a Report and then use that Report as the source for the Calendar and group data by the Sheet Name Column in the Report, this creates individual categories based on Venues even if a tasks appears in different venues but on the same date as shown below: 

If creating different Calendars or consolidating each venue tracker in a single Report and using the Report as the source of your Calendar aren't suitable options, the only alternative I could think of would be to create duplicates of each row in your source sheet and assign a single venue value to each row using a single select dropdown instead. 

I hope this can offer some insight. 

Cheers! 

Julio

• Matthew_Lanterman
    Matthew_Lanterman ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Julio S.

Thank you for the ideas and for answering y question. I'll submit a feedback form and request the ability to group by unique values in calendar app.

We need to maintain a single line for each event, and one master sheet for all venues, so the multiple lines idea is not going to work. The structure is one line per event, and then each Venue has a column for the date, then another multi select column to use in the report. We can have multiple venues for any given event.

I think we are stuck with multiple calendars (for now), one for each venue, and I'll stick them all onto a dashboard.