Reset a Row

Options

Hello,

I am looking for a way to have certain cells in a row "reset" once a checkbox (in that same row) is checked. When I say "reset", I want two cells to go back to being empty and another cell to have an updated quantity.

Is there a way to do this? Maybe multiple automations?

Appreciate any help or ideas!

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SYDPEN

You can clear or change multiple columns in a single action, so you just need one automation to clear the two cells.

The problem is updating the quantity. You can't use change cell actions to set a dynamic value like an updated quantity. So you'd need to use an IF in the quantity column in order to set a different formula based on whether or not the checkbox is checked.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @SYDPEN

I hope you're well and safe!

How would the updated quantity column need to work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• SYDPEN
    SYDPEN ✭✭
    Options

Thank you Jeff. I was able to set up the automation to clear the cells and I have an equation from a previous sheet

=IF(ISNUMBER([QUANTITY CLAIMED]@ROW), [STARTING QUANTITY]@ROW - [QUANTITY CLAIMED]@ROW, [STARTING QUANTITY]@ROW)

I know this formula works at reducing the Available Quantity column when a number is inserted into the Quantity Claimed row, but how could I integrate whether or not the checkbox is checked?

Appreciate all the help!

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@SYDPEN So you can't use automation to set a formula into a cell. But you can use an IF formula to switch between different formulas for that cell depending on criteria. The syntax would be something like this:

=IF(CheckboxColumn@row = 1, formula you want used if it's checked, formula you want used if it's not checked)

If you want multiple criteria to be considered, you can use AND or OR around multiple logical statements at the start of an IF:

=IF(AND(CheckboxColumn@row = 1, ISNUMBER([Quantity Claimed]@row), formula you want used if it's checked and Quantity Claimed is a number, formula you want used if it's not checked and no number is in Quantity Claimed)

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!