An automated workflow where data is updated to an existing sheet

Steps that i envisage

Load the smartsheet with predetermined data - say columns A to G

Create form for displaying columns A to D only and allow entry of column J and K

Create form for displaying columns A to D only and allow entry of column M and N

Create a workflow where person A is asked to complete cols J & K when col H = "John" using Form 1

Create a workflow where person B is asked to complete cols J & K when col H = "Mary" using Form 1

Create a workflow where person C is asked to complete cols M & N when col L = "Pat" using Form 2

Is this possible ?

Best Answers

• SmartSheetTesting
    Answer ✓

Thanks James , your explanation is most valuable.

I have tried your method and I can see the logic. And it appears to work.

My problem now is that the first time it appeared to work but data entered did not update the original sheet

Further attempts to debug and the report loses the source sheet (columns and filter stay in place but source sheet is blank) - you mentioned 'pin the report' is this something i did not do?

• SmartSheetTesting
    Answer ✓

I now find after hours of testing and trying that i need to add the person I share the input to, as a collaborator on the sheet, Thats fine but i dont want to share the sheet and only want to share the report later.

How can i stop the email to collaborators when i list them on the sheet ?

Answers

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

The nomenclature "Form" is a specific thing in Smartsheet, and is a mechanism for creating a new record. And "Workflow" is also a thing - Smartsheet's lingo for Automation. That last one is kind of bizarre, because the Automation menu is where you create Workflows. Why they don't just use one word is beyond me.

So let's use "process" instead of workflow.

I think you want to create reports instead of forms. Point the reports at the sheet. Use a filter to limit the records to column H and L as relevant. And yeah, I think this process will do what you want.

• SmartSheetTesting
    Answer ✓

Thanks James , your explanation is most valuable.

I have tried your method and I can see the logic. And it appears to work.

My problem now is that the first time it appeared to work but data entered did not update the original sheet

Further attempts to debug and the report loses the source sheet (columns and filter stay in place but source sheet is blank) - you mentioned 'pin the report' is this something i did not do?

• SmartSheetTesting
    Answer ✓

I now find after hours of testing and trying that i need to add the person I share the input to, as a collaborator on the sheet, Thats fine but i dont want to share the sheet and only want to share the report later.

How can i stop the email to collaborators when i list them on the sheet ?