How can I use Salesforce to create a new Smartsheet from a Smartsheet template?

sadie_ch
sadie_ch ✭✭
edited 11/21/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

We want to use the Salesforce Connector to link data from individual smartsheets back to individual Salesforce records. However, we don't want to have to create a Smartsheet connector Workflow for each individual Smartsheet sheet, since we will have a significant number of sheets created each month.

Ex/ We have a Practice in Salesforce - each practice has a linked Project record. Whenever a new Project record is created in Salesforce, we need to create a Project Checklist in Smartsheet (where we have a Project Checklist template) to track individual tasks and subtasks for that project.

Is it possible to have Salesforce create a Practice Project Checklist in Smartsheet from the Project Checklist Template each time a Project is created in Salesforce?

Alternatively, is there a way to have Smartsheet create a new sheet from a template each time a new row is added to a "parent" sheet?

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @sadie_ch

No, there currently isn't a way to automatically create a new sheet using the Salesforce Connector, or by using a Smartsheet Automation.

I would suggest having one "intake" sheet that's connected to Salesforce where you can track all your Project records, and then have an alert or some other notification to let a user know when they should manually create a new sheet from that template. You could then use an INDEX(MATCH formula or cell-links to bring in data from your intake sheet, so your project sheet is kept up-to-date.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @sadie_ch

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Genevieve's excellent advice/answer.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• You could use the Premium App, Control Center to create the checklist automatically, and more.
    • You could maybe use the 3rd-party service, Zapier, to create the checklist automatically.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Genevieve P.

Is it possible to do the reverse workflow?

1. Create intake sheet
    2. Each time a row is added to the intake sheet, the pm gets a notification to create the separate project sheet
    3. Push data from the newly created project sheet back to the intake sheet ?

The only way I can think to do that is to manually link certain cells on the intake sheet to the newly created project sheet, but that would require someone update the cell reference each time a new sheet is created...

Thanks for your help!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @sadie_ch

Yes this could work, but you're right: you would need to manually update cell links to look to the newly created sheet in this instance.

There isn't a way to automatically link the newly created sheet back into the Intake sheet within the core Smartsheet application. @Andrée Starå is correct that the Premium add-on Control Center would be able to do this for you.