"Alert someone" automation not working when "links to specific fields" is selected.

I have an automation that was working before:

1. triggered by a change in a category field.
  2. Sending update request to email address in "contact email" column.
  3. Including "Attachment" and "Comment" fields.

This step suddenly stopped sending update requests. If I exclude the fields by selecting "Message only" option, the automation works again. (Both email and in-app)

But I need to updates for "Comment" and "Attachment". If I go back to "Links to sheet and specific fields", and add back the "Comments" and "Attachment", it won't send an alert. And this is not a email problem, the alert in the website does not work either.

What can be the solution with this?

Tags:

Answers

• Hi @Kemal

You noted that initially you were sending an Update Request, but in your image it looks like when you send it as a Message Only you send an Alert, is that correct?

If your Update Request won't send but the Alert sends, this could be due to what's triggering your workflow. You say that this is triggered by a change in the Category field. Is this a manual change or is this through a cross-sheet formula or cell-link?

Cells that are updated via a a cross-sheet formula or cell-link can't trigger workflows that have an action which changes a sheet, such as an Update Request. See the Note at the bottom of this article: Trigger Blocks: Define When Your Workflow is Executed

Let me know if this helps explain what's happening in your scenario!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Kemal
    Kemal ✭✭

Hi Genevive,

You are right, I was (by mistake) using the alert instead of the update request. I changed it now and it works. Thank you for your response.

The category field is changed manually, within the sheet by the user. I don't think it is a triggering issue, because it worked as long as I selected "Message only".

Now I'm wondering why the alert does not work with the attachment. If I my purpose was sending a user manual to a person (not to request and update, but to share the file), it would not work.

Thanks again for your help.

• Hi @Kemal

It's good that the trigger, is manual, that should work as expected, then!

If you're using an Alert, then attachments will only be included in the email if they are the trigger or if they were added at the same time as the trigger. (Here's the documentation: Selecting what’s included in an alert or request.)

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Kemal
    Kemal ✭✭

Hi @Genevieve P.

OK, I see now what it wasn't working. Thank you.