Is there a reason why in group management some names are only email addresses?

Best Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @dtalbot

This is likely due to how they were added to your account. If the members were added just as an email address, they won't have a name associated with their account. You will want to ask the System Admin for your organization to update these members from the Admin Center, see: Add or Edit Individual Users

Either that, or these users can add their own name to their accounts from their Personal Profile, see: Manage Your Personal Profile

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @dtalbot

Are these values set in the Column Properties of that Contact column? If they had been entered in the Column Properties as just the email without the name then the sheet will remember that previous "setting" for that specific contact. I would suggest deleting out the email contacts and re-adding them as the correct contact value for that column.

Then when you come back to your automation you should see the correct type of contact, with both a name and email. Let me know if this worked!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @dtalbot

This is likely due to how they were added to your account. If the members were added just as an email address, they won't have a name associated with their account. You will want to ask the System Admin for your organization to update these members from the Admin Center, see: Add or Edit Individual Users

Either that, or these users can add their own name to their accounts from their Personal Profile, see: Manage Your Personal Profile

Cheers!

Genevieve

• dtalbot
    dtalbot ✭✭

Genevieve,

Thank you! I think that resolved that question as i have asked them to make updates and that did the trick. Followup question. I thought updating their name in personal settings would also resolve a secondary issue where only their email address is available for selection in my automations. However, even after the update....it still only allows me to select an email address. Do you know why this is? Is this something sheet specific?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @dtalbot

Are these values set in the Column Properties of that Contact column? If they had been entered in the Column Properties as just the email without the name then the sheet will remember that previous "setting" for that specific contact. I would suggest deleting out the email contacts and re-adding them as the correct contact value for that column.

Then when you come back to your automation you should see the correct type of contact, with both a name and email. Let me know if this worked!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• dtalbot
    dtalbot ✭✭

That worked! Thank you.