Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Report Summary and Grouping: add custom formatting

Options
TMarquardt
TMarquardt âś­âś­

A few things that would improve Report Summary and Grouping:

1. Ability to format the summary data (IE into $ format)
  2. Grouping by contact column
  3. Pull summary data as a metric into a Dashboard

Thanks!

Tags:
35 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

While this is not a part of our current plan, this is exactly the kind of thing our team is thinking about as we consider the future of reports. If we believe we can make this idea a reality, we'll update the status here.

Comments

• Peter Spung
    Peter Spung âś­âś­âś­
    edited 09/02/22
    Options

YES AND - be able to group and summarize by count AND percent of total. Imagine if...in the attached, mocked up an existing count by group report to include percent of total.

Of course, we'd need to be able to control the number of decimal places, if the percent of total is in the same or additional column, it the same column, the ordering of the count and percent of total, etc.

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­
    Options

@Peter Spung I can foresee a case where use of a filter could result in percent totals not adding up to 100%. I wonder if the new option were instead titled “Percent of Displayed Total”? Or should that be an additional rather than instead option?

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­
    Options

@TMarquardt I like all your ideas.

In order to achieve presenting a [Summary Field]# in dollar format—with commas where they belong—I’ve had to do a multi-stage workaround (that necessitates adding a “fake” tiny decimal value) and involves a very complex formula.

(Contact me if interested to see how I did this.)

• TMarquardt
    TMarquardt âś­âś­
    edited 01/25/24
    Options

I'd like the ability to format summary fields. The attached screenshot is displaying project values but it's difficult to read without any formatting.

• Erica L.
    Erica L. âś­âś­âś­âś­
    Options

Yes, would be great if we could Group a report by the Assigned To column when the same column at the source sheets is a Multi-Select please! Thank you.

• Warren D
    Warren D âś­âś­
    Options

+1 for these features, especially using a summary report as the data source for a widget on a dashboard.

Additionally I would like to be able to add new non-summary sheet columns to a summary report to augment the summary sheet fields.

We want to give everyone the flexibility to use a sheet however they like, but have a consistent set of summary sheet fields which we can roll up in a summary report, and subsequently use this as a data source for dashboards, but we can't add new columns unless they are already present in the summary sheet. Thanks!

• AJones
    AJones âś­âś­
    Options

Would love to pull in report summaries as metrics in Dashboard. Love the reporting capability, but those total and group numbers can't currently be pulled in as big metric numbers like we would like on our Dashboard.

1. Pull summary data as a metric into a Dashboard

It gets really long doing the reports as collapsed group reports:

It would be nice to pull in those Total Past Due numbers like the big metrics above.

• EagonA
    EagonA âś­âś­âś­
    Options

A simple request - to have the ability to format group titles to make them stand out more. For example, when grouping by more than 1 column, the ability to make the first group title larger, or highlighted, than the sub-grouped columns.

• Jerry in SC
    Jerry in SC âś­âś­âś­
    Options

Have just run into a situation where utilizing the Sheet Summary on a Dashboard/Portal Widget would be PERFECT for what we are trying to do.

• Michelle Choate 2
    Michelle Choate 2 âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­
    Options

+1 for all of this. I hate having to use grouped reports on dashboards rather than being able to use the summaries as a metric on a dashboard especially.

• Sarah.Flinders
    Sarah.Flinders âś­âś­
    Options

Yes. We also would like to be able to have formatting options on reports.

• Darian Klare
    Darian Klare âś­âś­
    Options

Sheet Summary Field Add Format Painter tool to quickly format several like kind summary fields; Examples: Set field value formatting as Currency USD or Percentage Showing 3 decimal places, etc.

• Stefan
    Stefan âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­
    edited 01/25/24
    Options

Yes!

Think about a chart with project cost forecast for some months. x = month and y = money.

Allow conditional formatting of the sheet to carry through into sheet summary to visually mark which month has a milestone and there you have another axis ;-)

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi all,

The original request has 3 separate ideas. In order to create clarity, I've updated the title of the idea to reflect just one of the three: formatting for grouping and summary header rows.

If you would like to vote on either of the other two requests, please add your vote to the individual ideas here:

Thanks,

Genevieve