Dashboards

Flump
Flump ✭✭
edited 06/27/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi - i have a number of sheets for capturing Risks which have drop downs in the some of the columns. My manager wants to pull key data from this into a dashboard to present a visual summary of our risks/issues, but i cannot seem to get any column with a dropdown in it, into the dashboard - surely this is possible?

Best Answers

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @Flump

What widget are you using in your dashboard? Have you built a report and tried a report widget to display the column data? Or are you trying a summary for the different dropdown choices? A metric sheet or perhaps a summary report might work?

Kelly

• Flump
    Flump ✭✭

wow - ok. I am new to Smartsheet and so this is all slightly confusing and I am still trying to wrap my head around the differences between report, summary sheets and dashboards!

I haven't built a report yet, is it best to do that first?

sorry for my complete and utter ignorance!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I would start with creating a row report. From there you should be able to group by selection (assuming it is single select dropdown column type). Next to the grouping feature in the report builder toolbar is the Summarize feature. You can use this to get your counts of each option.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hiya! Just hopping in here to say I agree with both Paul and Kelly... but wanted to also provide some resources for you.

Here's a webinar that goes through how to create a Report with Grouping and Summary: Redesigned Reports with Grouping and Summary Functions

You may also want to review this webinar that goes through Reports in general: SmartStart: Reporting

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Flump
    Flump ✭✭

wow - thank you all so much you have been super helpful and i will get cracking on with your suggestions above! really can't thank you enough. Excited to see if i can get this working now :-) got to love progress - thanks again @Paul Newcome @Genevieve P. and @Kelly Moore