Formatting Charts

Options

Hi all,

I am trying to make a chart that references a report, and I have been successful in capturing the avg, and count values of groups I made inside the report. Where I am having trouble, is that I want to change the labels of the Legend. The legend pulls the name of the column it is referencing, however it is representing the avg of this column for one, and the count of the column for the other. I used this report to show how many tasks were completed per week (count of week occurrence) as well as the average days to complete a task that week (average of days to complete task). I made a chart on these values, and while all the values are correct, I want to change the title of the legend to reflect the actual data being shown, rather than the column name (since what is being show is not the contents of the column, but rather an operation done on the contents of the column. Is there any way to do this other than creating replica columns in the original sheet with different names? This would also ruin my report or cause me to have to make 2 separate reports (one with the actual column names to demonstrate, and one with the duplicate names, used only to create the chart). Please find bellow screenshots of what I have thus far:

I want to keep the week values of the week at the bottom, they show which week is being evaluated. What I want to change is the names in the legend (Avg days to complete a task [avg], and tasks [count]).

Thank you all in advance for any all all help!

Best regards,

-Muhammad

Best Answer

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Muhammad

You're on the right track with creating a second report and renaming the columns in the report. That's really the easiest way to do it. The good news is that once the report for your chart is created, that's really all you have to do with it. It will refresh with the latest data when the chart calls on it to refresh (upon opening the dashboard and at the dashboard's set refresh interval.)

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Muhammad

You're on the right track with creating a second report and renaming the columns in the report. That's really the easiest way to do it. The good news is that once the report for your chart is created, that's really all you have to do with it. It will refresh with the latest data when the chart calls on it to refresh (upon opening the dashboard and at the dashboard's set refresh interval.)

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!