Re-submit for approval

Options

I'm trying to work out a workflow that allows someone to re-submit for approval. I'm not sure how to record an update to a previous denial.

Sequence

Request submitted-> Approval Request to VP

VP Declines-> Notification sent to requestor

Requestor updates request (existing request in sheet) -> here's where I lose the chain...

I can use a status to identify when the request is ready to resubmit, but how do I record the VP's second response? Ideally, I would like to have 2 records, but then there are the situations where it could go to a 3rd submission.

Any advice is appreciated.

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hey @AFlint

Here's one approach.

Create 2nd and 3rd Approval columns.

For the 2nd Approval, in addition to your trigger, add a condition that looks for the 1st approval column to not be blank but the 2nd approval column is blank. Be sure to designate the Approval results go into the 2nd approval column

For the 3rd approval, add the conditions that Approval columns 1 and 2 are not blank but Approval column #3 is blank. Make sure to designate the approval result go into 3rd approval column.

Would this work for you?

Kelly

• AFlint
    AFlint ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you, @Kelly Moore

It would work if I could be guaranteed that there is a finite number of loops. I'm hoping it would never go above 1, let alone 3, but I'm trying to build something that could scale, or at least deal with the occasional outlier.

I'll circle back to the users and see if three would be sufficient capacity.

Thank you

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only other option I wondered about was having another sheet - I usually call these archive sheets - and do a copy row each time a trigger occurred, like approval changes. You could then keep a single approval column and the archive sheet would keep the running log of approvals, if you ever needed it . You may have to delete the approval value (with automation) so there is a clear change of cell value. You'd have to play with that. Just a different approach but it would be scaleable.

Kelly

• AFlint
    AFlint ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to see if that would be an acceptable option. Thanks

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!