Chart Problem

Hello,

I'm trying to create a chart that shows the percentages of people who have completed a training module and their respective division heads. I have a sheet with a column with "yes" or "no" for identifying completion and another column with the division heads. When I create the widget and add the chart, I'm unable to choose the specific columns. I will only allow me to choose all the columns or a column that has the employee ID.

From what I can see online, there is supposed to be an option that allows me to choose the specific columns I'd like to summarize in the widget configuration. I'm guessing I'm missing a step in the configuration.

Thank you in advance.

Khari

Answers

• Hi @Khari Shiver

Charts do not perform any calculations - they need the source information to already be set up with numerical data in order to configure that into bars or pie charts, etc. This means it won't be able to count how many of your rows say "Yes" or "No". You'll need to first find that Count, then map that to a Chart, does that make sense?

In your instance, it sounds like creating a Report will be the easiest way to go. You can pull in only the relevant columns in a Row Report, then GROUP by the "yes/no" column, and use the SUMMARIZE feature to create your COUNT of that column as well.

See: Redesigned Reports with Grouping and Summary Functions

Then you can use the entirety of the Report as the source for your chart! This will automatically update as the source sheet updates, and the Report will automatically include new rows into the chart as well.

Let me know if it would help to see screen captures of this process.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Khari Shiver
    Khari Shiver ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your insight and help!