Using Hierarchy and Forms

Options
lek123
lek123 ✭✭
edited 07/07/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I currently have a sheet with a list of projects and under each project, subtasks using the hierarchy indentation.

I have also linked a form to this sheet which requests information for a new project. However, when this form is submitted, the formatting of the hierarchy does not follow so I am left with a newly inserted row, but no hierarchy of subtasks under the project.

Is there a way to format this so the indented tasks under the submitted project automatically appear? I dont want to have to manually create and indent tasks under the project each time the form is submitted.

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    edited 07/13/22
    Options

Hi @lek123,

There currently isn't a way to automate indentation in sheets neither by form or any other method.

When you have a moment, please let our Product team know about your feedback by filling in this form, here. Thank you!

From what you explain it sounds like you may have different sheet structures (with different hierarchical relationships between tasks), if this is the case, you may want to create templates for each of the project types where the hierarchy has already been created and possibly add an additional column to your Project intake sheet (where Project requests are populated via the Form) that outlines the project type and, therefore, the project template that needs to be used. Then each project can be created simply by having the user saving a copy of the needed template.

I hope that this be of help.

Cheers!

Julio

• lek123
    lek123 ✭✭
    Options

Hi @Julio S. Thank you for the response!

Can you clarify the use of creating my own template for the purposes of updating the project info that is submitted via a form? I'm not clear on what you mean.

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    Options

Hi @lek123,

Apologies if my response wasn't clear enough. My understanding is that you are filling out project requests through a Form in an intake sheet and that, depending on the project type that is selected, you would need certain sub-tasks to be automatically created. Since, hierarchy can't be automatically applied via Form submissions, my proposal was to maybe create different sheet templates for each project type where the required structure had been pre-set and when a new project is requested via the intake sheet, you or the requester could create a copy of the relevant template. This was just an idea based on the assumptions above with the information provided.

If this wouldn't be a suitable option but you'd need further advise, I'd suggest uploading some screen captures of your current environment (hiding any sensitive information) so that we can continue to advise.

Cheers!

Julio