Smartsheet Workflow: Receive Notification once an update request is completed by the person assigned

Hi,

I want to create a workflow that will notify me when an update request I have sent to someone is completed. I can't seem to find one that will work. I am using a workaround for now, but it is not ideal.

Thank you,

Allison Bishop

(760) 918-6900 x114

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Allison Bishop

I hope you're well and safe!

Is it always the same workflow?

How have you solved it now?

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Allison Bishop I have a system where a process is kicked off, sending an update request to a user, and at the end of their update form is a checkbox field they use to indicate their part is complete and then submit the form. That checkbox kicks off more update requests to other parties who can now add their data and check their completion boxes.

Alternatively, if there is a field they always update from blank to some value, you could trigger an alert based on that field changing to any value.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Allison Bishop
    Allison Bishop ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Thank you for your help. @Andrée Starå , it is always the same workflow. Currently, I have set up a notification that will tell me when anyone except a few specific users make a change to a row. I used to have it where I would be notified if a specific column was updated, but there is no "uniform" column that always updated by the user. So far my work around is good, but it would be great if there is a way to be notified when ANY update request is completed, and I could avoid needing to create a workflow that notifies me. I send many different update requests from various sheets. I would think that when you send an update request, there would be an option for the person sending the request to receive an email stating that the update request was completed. :)

Thank you for your help.

@Jeff Reisman

• Allison Bishop
    Allison Bishop ✭✭✭✭

@Jeff Reisman , I have thought about adding a "completed" checkbox as well. Yet, I am trying to avoid adding one more column of information, plus I have many sheets from which I send requests. I used to have it where I would be notified if a specific column was updated, but there is no "uniform" column that always updated by the user. Currently, I have set up a notification that will tell me when anyone except a few specific users make a change to a row (this is my current work around) .So far, my current "work around" is fine, but I would think that a quick notification would be something SmartSheet has when you send any update request. Basically, once any update request is completed, I could get an email stating that it has been completed....and I wouldn't even need to set up the notification I receive as a workflow. : )

Thank you again for your help!

• Samscho
    Samscho ✭✭✭

@Jeff Reisman thank you for the checkbox suggestion. i wish smartsheet had a cleaner way to trigger events after an update request has been completed but your workaround is better than nothing.