Creating report to show all Parent Rows based on Child Row

SystemsWiz
edited 08/12/22 in Smartsheet Basics

I'm trying to create a report to display all tasks assigned to current logged user.

In the report, I want to see all the parent rows displayed for the assigned tasks for the logged user.

e.g. If I create a report of current logged user (let's say Jane) for them to look at the assigned tasks (primary column), then how to make sure for the 2.1.2 H, it shows 2.1 F, 2.0 E and A.

I have multiple small projects like "A", so presently creating row report shows multiple 2.1.2 (same task for all projects) with no context to A/E/F for H. It would be good to have all A/E/F but I am good to have just A displayed.

Another question, I want the parent row to reflect complete (green), if all the children are either green or gray, how do I do that?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attaching the excel export of the template.

Tags:

Answers

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Reports do not support the parent/child hierarchy. I would recommend just creating a simple filter in the Sheet on the Assigned To column (where you can say Assigned To is equal to Current User) and that will display what you are looking for. Make sure the filter is shared so that any one with the access to the sheet can use it.

• Neil Watson
    Neil Watson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @SystemsWiz, I picked this solution up from another post, which I cannot find right now:

The two helper columns below can be used to filter a report.

Here is the filter

Report as per below....parents will always show until all the children are complete.

Has limitations such as you cannot use column formulas