Build a report that includes user input

PeggyLang
PeggyLang ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a smartsheet with approx 30 parent rows and anywhere from 30-65 child rows per parent.

I need to provide numerous individuals with reports for individual parent rows. Can a report be 'dynamic'? i.e., report requires input from user (preferrably by selecting from a dropdown) and then the report is generated.

I realize that I can accomplish this by using 'filters', however, the individuals requiring the data are not normally Smartsheet users and so my hope was to make this as simple and quick as possible.

Thoughts?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you have already shared the Sheet with the users then no matter what you do the user can switch to the full data anytime (other than hidden columns - based on user role). Is your objective to provide filtered data or restrict data? You cannot restrict data by rows in SS.

If you have Dynamic View as part of Smartsheet license then that is another option, but again the editing in dynamic view is not inline, user has to click the row and they will see fields setup to edit in the detail panel --- Does not serve your purpose of user adoption as they will need some walk through/training and also user will see data as list and not hierarchy.

WorkApps is another option depending on type SS license type.

Answers

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you are planning to provide the individuals with the rows where they have been assigned to plus some additional criteria then "Filter" is your best option. You can create a Filter with the criteria you want in which one of the criteria is "Assigned To Column Name" is equal to Current User (here Current User is SS system value which equates to who is logged in). Make sure you also check the checkbox to Share Filter. Save the Sheet. Now when you select this pre-defined filter from the filter list, you can copy the url from the browser address bar and share with your individuals/users (When they view the sheet it will have the filter already applied)

One of the drawback of reports is that your hierarchy is not maintained and so it may confuse the users more than using Filters in a Sheet. Just my 2 cents.

• PeggyLang
    PeggyLang ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sameer Karkhanis This works with exception that the 'current user' can turn the filter off and then has access to all of the data.

How do I ensure they cannot turn filter off?

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

If you have already shared the Sheet with the users then no matter what you do the user can switch to the full data anytime (other than hidden columns - based on user role). Is your objective to provide filtered data or restrict data? You cannot restrict data by rows in SS.

If you have Dynamic View as part of Smartsheet license then that is another option, but again the editing in dynamic view is not inline, user has to click the row and they will see fields setup to edit in the detail panel --- Does not serve your purpose of user adoption as they will need some walk through/training and also user will see data as list and not hierarchy.

WorkApps is another option depending on type SS license type.