"Move to" Automation not working

I've been working on archiving lines once certain criteria is met. The lines are not moving. I've deleted, duplicated, check preferences and notifications. All of my columns on the original sheet and the archive sheet have the same exact set up in each column's properties along with the column order being the same. I've also tried the "OR" command for the trigger column and conditioning.

What is wrong?

Answers

• Amit Wadhwani
    Amit Wadhwani ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @AOW0415

Column names are case-sensitive, so make sure they line up exactly between the two sheets. To be specific "Test Status" is not equal to "test status" in column names. Can you confirm if this is as per the specifications?

If this doesn't work, try creating a simple automation. Whenever a new row is created, move it to the destination to see if there's any error in that as well. If this simple automation works, there might be some error in the criteria.

I can provide a specific answer if you share more details on sheet layout.

Best Regards

Amit Wadhwani, Smartsheet CoE, Ignatiuz Software, Exton, PA

https://www.linkedin.com/in/amitinddr/

Best Regards
    Amit Wadhwani
    , Smartsheet Community Champion
    Smartsheet CoE, Ignatiuz, Inc., Exton, PA

Did this answer help you? Show some love by marking this answer as "Insightful
    💡" or "Awesome ❤️" and "Vote Up ⬆️"https://www.linkedin.com/in/amitinddr/

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness Overachievers

Hi @AOW0415

Is the move process being triggered by something happening on another sheet?

A cross sheet formula pulling the your instruction across etc?

I found that automatic row moving / copying wont work if the trigger is operated by another sheet. I believe the issue is to prevent a loop where the destination sheet could be the trigger and theoretically could just keep sending rows back and forth.

Took me a while to figure this out so may be the issue you have?

Hope that helps

Thanks

Paul

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @AOW0415

I hope you're well and safe!

Do you get an error message, or is the issue that nothing happens?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• AOW0415
    AOW0415 ✭✭✭
    edited 08/23/22

Hi @Andrée Starå. Thank you for helping. I don't get an error message. I get no response from the adjustment to the main sheet when the status changes to one o the archive triggers.

• AOW0415
    AOW0415 ✭✭✭

@Amit Wadhwani

Everything lines up on the main sheet and the archive sheet. I triple checked the headers are the same case, etc. Even the properties of each column and still nothing. I did a simple automation only using one trigger action to move to the archive sheet but still got nothing. Meaning I attempted to only archive one testing status instead of 4. Same issue.

What details do you need from my sheets and I'll see what I can pull together.

Amanda

• AOW0415
    AOW0415 ✭✭✭

Hello @Paul McGuinness

I have the automation attached to a main page that my PM's use to document their test status'. Once an item is marked as 1 of 4 criteria, I want the automation to automatically move that line to an archive line (ie. status being changed to: Testing Completed, NA, Cancelled, Discontinued). I have the trigger action inserted into my main page. Once the action of marking one of the lines is one of the 4 listed above, the Copy to Archive sheet function should be taking place.

There are formulas within the main sheet to COUNTIFS for dashboard charting purposes. Could the formulas be preventing the auto archive potentially?

Amanda

• Paul McGuinness

Hello @AOW0415

So the trigger action is on the same sheet as the sheet rows are being moved from.

Other things to check:

• Is the primary column the same name on both sheets
    • Are any system columns the same name on both sheets
    • Are all other columns the same name and column format on both sheets i.e. date column is actually set to date on both etc.
    • You have the same access levels to both sheets and at least Owner or Admin

Can you snapshot and share the workflow you are using to trigger the move.

Thanks

Paul

• AOW0415
    AOW0415 ✭✭✭
    edited 08/25/22

@Paul McGuinness - thank you for the follow up. Please see below:

So the trigger action is on the same sheet as the sheet rows are being moved from. Yes

Other things to check:

• Is the primary column the same name on both sheets Yes
    • Are any system columns the same name on both sheets Yes
    • Are all other columns the same name and column format on both sheets i.e. date column is actually set to date on both etc. Yes
    • You have the same access levels to both sheets and at least Owner or Admin Admin on Primary Sheet/ Owner on Archive sheet

Can you snapshot and share the workflow you are using to trigger the move. See below

• AOW0415
    AOW0415 ✭✭✭

Good morning @Paul McGuinness , Thank you for helping me. I was able to figure out what the issue was---it was the fact that formulas are embedded in the Test Status column which I was using to automate for the copy to archive function. I was able to get around this by enlisting the time trigger automation. So far, this work around seems to be effective.

Thanks again!

Amanda

• Paul McGuinness

Hi @AOW0415

Apologies I didn't come back to you sooner, but i never received the bump that you had responded, sorry.

I'm glad you managed to get it working in the end.

Thanks

Paul