Dynamic Alert Email Automation

Is it possible to create a dynamic email alert automation that is driven by a Dropdown List column type such that the email content changes based on the row's cell selection from the drop down list? e.g. if Project milestone changes to Kick-off, the email alert is X and if the milestone status is Needs Assessment, the email alert is Y. In doing this, I am trying to avoid having to create nine different email alert automations for the different email messages associated with the nine different project milestones that I have. Thank you!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @TonyMW

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, I sometimes use this method in my client solutions.

Pro-tip. Use Placeholders to change a specific text in the alert easily. Change once, and it updates in all alerts that have the placeholder. (you can use the same method, but set it on the specific row instead)

More info: 

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• TonyMW
    TonyMW ✭✭

Hello @Andrée Starå , thank you so much for your quick response to my Smartsheet automation inquiry and for your insight. I think the placeholder concept is fantastic but I think it may not be plausible in my case since it appears to be driven by contents residing in a row. What I am looking to have is different custom messages for each project milestone - for instance, in the snippet below, you can see that I am looking to have two different messages, one for a project in the Kick-off stage and another different message for a project in the Needs assessment stage. So, the Triger is coming from a milestone column that contains a drop down list of project stages and the for each project stage, I want to generate a different custom message. Is it possible to incorporate this dynamism in an email alert automation workflow? And while at it, you can see that my my desired messages contain hyperlinks, is there a way to capture this in the custom email alert without having to copy the entire hyperlink URL in the custom message body?

Thank you so much for your time and insight as I look forward to hearing from you again.

Respectfully,

Tony