Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Expand / Collapse by One Hierarchy Level

Options
Walid Sulayman
Walid Sulayman âś­âś­âś­

It would help if one could expand or collapse everything by one step only rather than expand the whole descendants at once.

Often I only need to expand/ collapse one step (up or down the hierarchy) at a time, and this means I have to manually expand or collapse each parent row to reach the next level, which is time consuming on large sheets with multiple hierarchy levels.

It would really help to have an "Expand 1 Step" or "Collapse 1 Step" option next to the "Expand" or "Collapse" options in the drop-down menu. Thanks.

13 votes

Idea Submitted · Last Updated

Comments

• miikerom
    miikerom âś­âś­
    Options

I often right-click the column and collapse all to start over in navigating my large gantt charts which are organized in sections. However, I don't always need to or want to collapse the entire gantt just a select section. It would be nice to be able to right-click any row which has sub lines and collapse just that row (or expand it as well).

• Macorne
    Macorne âś­âś­âś­âś­
    Options

I would appreciate a similar option to expand/collapse all in pivo tables in excel. I would anticipate that this would work for all items that are parents of the same hierarchical level. ie in this image I could right click on the "enable leader" header and click "collapse all" and all sub-project information would be hidden. Same for both pink lines collapsing down summary information if I was to collapse all on that line.

Adding this would make it much easier to manage larger projects that have hierarchies.

• Mattisphere
    Mattisphere âś­âś­âś­âś­âś­
    Options

I feel like this has been requested a dozen times over the years but I don't see any of the other posts. We NEED to be able to expand/collapse by level and by selection. For instance, I have 40 projects on a sheet with additional sub-tasks. Right now, we have to keep going to the top and expanding all or collapsing all and then digging back into what we want to look at instead of being able to just select 30 rows and collapse them without collapsing ALL of the projects. @Walid Sulayman's particular idea is also great, to be able to just collapse everything down to a certain level, so hide all of the fourth-level sub-tasks (aka collapse to the third-level). For a sheet that people are in and out of every day, only being able to expand or collapse everything is very inconvenient.

• Shonnify
    Shonnify âś­âś­
    edited 04/23/24
    Options

Agreed. It is extremely difficult to find and replace or add formulas to hidden, or indented hierarchical levels. I have to change dates and names every quarter and many updates have to be made manually to over 500 lines. Sample:

• Walid Sulayman
    Walid Sulayman âś­âś­âś­
    Options

Hi, In this case wouldn't you be able to click the + or - sign right next to your primary column field in the row you need to collapse or expand?