Nested IF Statement only works on the first expression

Hello,

I have the below formula which only works the first logical expression -Atlantic_Equip. The logic is checking to see if a set of columns are blank if not blank that select that Column, only one of the columns will be true. Hence using the Nested IF statement to parse thru and find the non blank column. I'm thinking I need to make it an IF(OR but keep getting INCORRECT ARGUEMENT SET>

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Atlantic_Equip]@row)), [Atlantic_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Galaxy FBO_Equip]@row)), [Galaxy FBO_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Jet Aviation_Equip]@row)), [Jet Aviation_Equip]@row), IF(NOT(ISBLANK([SouthWest/Menzies_Equip]@row)), [SouthWest/Menzies_Equip]@row), IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Million Air_Equip]@row)), [Million Air_Equip]@row), IF(NOT((ISBLANK([Signature_Equip]@row)), [Signature_Equip]@row), IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Wilson Air Center_Equip]@row)), [Wilson Air Center_Equip]@row), IF(NOT(ISBLANK(SwissPort@row)), SwissPort@row), IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Starlite_Equip]@row)), [Starlite_Equip]@row), IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Houston Hangar_Equip]@row)), [Houston Hangar_Equip]@row), IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Transtexas Jet Partners_Equip]@row)), [Transtexas Jet Partners_Equip]@row), IF(NOT(ISBLANK([SCI_Equip]@row)), [SCI_Equip]@row), IF(NOT(ISBLANK([HCC Tokio Marine_Equip]@row)), [HCC Tokio Marine_Equip]@row), IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Landry's_Equip]@row)), [Landry's_Equip]@row), IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Textron Aviation_Equip]@row)), [Textron Aviation_Equip]@row), IF(NOT(ISBLANK([HPD_Equip]@row)), [HPD_Equip]@row))))

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Tnorman

The syntax of the nested IF statement is not correct. After the 3rd IF there is a closing parenthesis at the end of the true statement. As a general rule, the number of parentheses at the end of the nested IF will match the count of the IFs within the nest.

As a tip, when I am troubleshooting nested formulas in my own sheets, I copy the formula into something like WORD where I can add line breaks so I can see each IF in it's own row. I find it easier to check the syntax line-by-line that way.

Try this

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Atlantic_Equip]@row)), [Atlantic_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Galaxy FBO_Equip]@row)), [Galaxy FBO_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Jet Aviation_Equip]@row)), [Jet Aviation_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([SouthWest/Menzies_Equip]@row)), [SouthWest/Menzies_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Million Air_Equip]@row)), [Million Air_Equip]@row, IF(NOT((ISBLANK([Signature_Equip]@row)), [Signature_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Wilson Air Center_Equip]@row)), [Wilson Air Center_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK(SwissPort@row)), SwissPort@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Starlite_Equip]@row)), [Starlite_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Houston Hangar_Equip]@row)), [Houston Hangar_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Transtexas Jet Partners_Equip]@row)), [Transtexas Jet Partners_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([SCI_Equip]@row)), [SCI_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([HCC Tokio Marine_Equip]@row)), [HCC Tokio Marine_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Landry's_Equip]@row)), [Landry's_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Textron Aviation_Equip]@row)), [Textron Aviation_Equip]@row, IF(NOT(ISBLANK([HPD_Equip]@row)), [HPD_Equip]@row))))))))))))))))

Does this work for you?

Kelly