Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Web form phone contact filling by customer missing number can it set formatting?

Sam COSDENT
Sam COSDENT ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Web form phone contact filling by customer missing number can it set formatting?

Due to our client typing through the form by themselves some time we can't control what they type. At this stage, for my case I just wonder is there a way to set the format condition to make the fill in data from this example

Phone

084-373-3939

The result I want it to be is the international call

+6684-373-3939

At this moment some data come in and just missing the 0 at the beginning. This problem must be my setting fault. 

Anyone who does know how to set this properly it would be more than appreciated.

Thank you.

Sam smiley

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sam No you cannot force that correct entry, so what I suggest is in the notes on the form, why not show an example of the format you would like them to use just below the entry box? 

The missing Zero is very common in spreadsheets but i'm sure I read something in Smartsheet that they had found a way to avoid phone numbers dropping the zero? Was I dreaming? Anyone else saw that? 

RichardR

• Sam COSDENT
    Sam COSDENT ✭✭✭

Hi Richard,

I actually did what you mentioned and explained (please see the attached pic, it is in Thai) but the point is that sometimes people (customers) doesn't do it correctly. I can't force my beloved customer. Which is the reason why I ask for or look for some solution here. Anyway thanks a lot for your advice.

Best,

Sam

Registertation via Smartsheet.jpg

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

One can only do your best Sam.smiley 

If anyone else has any suggestions for Sam then speak up? 

Richardr 

• CanadaJim
    CanadaJim
    edited 05/26/17

Hi Sam,

There are a few things you can try.

First, I would make sure the column for the entered data is in text format.  Then try setting up a column to reformat the response in.  Then I'd try using this formula (assuming Row 1 here):

=IF(LEFT([Source Column]1,3)="084",REPLACE([Source Column]1,1,3,"+6684"),[Source Column]1)

This will handle anything that starts with 084.  If you also want to handle something that starts with just 84, add a second IF statement and check the LEFT 2 characters for "84" and then REPLACE those 2 characters with "+6684".  Otherwise, just use what the customer put in.

Then you use the column you created for the formulas to use as the correct text for the international phone number.

Let us know how this works for you.

Jim

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sam,

I would have gone along the same lines as SubaruJim. I think he missed that the person is not entering the +66

A few questions:

1. Are all phone numbers expected to be in Thailand? 

2. Does Thailand have a fix number of digits*? (I think the answer is no because you can have 1,2, or 3 digit area codes)

3. Are the numbers all 084? Isn't the 8 for mobile only?

Depending on the answers, this might work:

="+66" + IF(LEFT([Sum Planned Effort (Estimate)]27, 1) = "0", REPLACE([Sum Planned Effort (Estimate)]27, 1, 1, ""), [Sum Planned Effort (Estimate)]27)

Craig

*Germany does not have fixed number of digits. Non-fixed number of digits makes my head hurt.

This discussion has been closed.