Conditional Formatting multiple cells when equal to value of another cell?

Shu
Shu
edited 09/14/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello! I need help with conditional formatting in my sheet.

I have 8 columns that are fixed to Employee Names (for shift schedules). I want the functionality for someone to go in and select their name from a dropdown and then have their shift times (when their name is in a cell) to be highlighted.

I have another column that has a dropdown with the employees names.

I can imagine it being something like this (I'm fairly new to smartsheet and not super familiar with the formatting just yet):

If [any cell in this table] is equal to [Employee Name]6, highlight that cell.

The table is the 8 columns.

Answers

• Shu
    Shu
    edited 09/14/22

I have a workaround for this but it's not pretty...it consists of a unique rule per person per column (so with 7 employees and 8 columns, I had to create 56 separate rules...). The rule is:

IF [Helper Employee Name] contains "(employee name X)" and Column X contains "(employee name x)" then apply this format to Column X

The X being the variable for the 7 employees across the 8 columns...

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest a checkbox column (it can be hidden to keep the sheet clean) with a formula to check the box if the name "@row" matches the name in the selection.

=IF([Employee Name]@row = [Employee Name]$6, 1)

Then set up your conditional formatting based on the checkbox.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com