Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Conditional Formatting on sheet level & row

Options
Katrina
Katrina ✭✭✭✭

It would be helpful to be able to do conditional formatting for the entire sheet or by a row rather than column by column. It becomes very tedious to enter the same formatting over many columns.

72 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

We are currently exploring how we might improve conditional formatting in the future so we appreciate all this great feedback - thank you! When we have more details to share we'll update the status here.

Comments

• Nik Fuentes
    Nik Fuentes ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was under the impression Conditional Formatting already applied to every row that meets its conditions. I also know there's an Entire Row option so you don't have to check off every column.

Do you mean that you'd like the ability to apply a conditional format to every row in one column? [eg: if [row Count]# is Odd then apply this format to Column2]

I think I'm on board, but I might be misunderstanding. Could you provide an example?

• Katrina
    Katrina ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'd like to highlight all of the percentages over 100, but that would include the top row, which does not need to be highlighted. To exclude this row, I had to add another column and exclude that from conditional formatting.

• Nik Fuentes
    Nik Fuentes ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

ahh, I see.

yep, that's a pain and a half to set up.

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you ever do a sheet which needed many (e.g. 30 or more) conditional formats?

Currently it’s a tedious nightmare to create them and again, when changes are required.

I request a substantial overhaul of this functionality with use at scale in mind.

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Suzanne Raphael
    Options

I have wished for this feature more times than I can remember over many, many years. My latest use case was wishing to highlight any cell that includes the phrase "USAGE NOTE." FYI, I'm in software QA and project management, FWIW.

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm currently in Conditional Formatting hell where I'm applying the same conditional formatting across many columns. I have 5 rules for each column. I create them for one, and then keep cloning and updating settings. It would be great to be able to apply to multiple columns, or the entire sheet, at once.

• JennS_
    JennS_ ✭✭✭
    Options

Please add this feature. There is a serious need for this! I am currently having to manually create formats for 67 columns in a sheet x 3 conditions per cell. This should be an easy update. C'mon smartsheet.

• Paula Grahame
    Paula Grahame ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ugghhhh Same! I have to build 3 or 4 conditional formatting rules for almost 100 columns. Its maddening. And SO easy to mess up.

Full sheet formatting would literally save my work sanity.

• Erin Kim
    Erin Kim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We need this. I am in a conditional formatting nightmare.

• Stu Haney
    Options

Excel handles this much better. Seems like achieving a similar level of capability would not be too hard to do in Smartsheet. cloning formatting for each column can't be the answer! Help!

• Scott McQuat
    Options

There are feature requests for this going back to 2020. Why is this taking so long.