Request an update_make fields required in order to submit the update

Roxana_u
Roxana_u ✭✭
edited 09/20/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I have a workflow where I request an update from the contacts in a cell, but when the recipients receive the form, they can submit it without completing all the fields. How can I make all the fields required? If I send the link to the form, it does have the required fields indicated, but then it adds a new row and does not update the information where I need it.

Hope someone can give me a suggestion on how to fix this issue.

Thank you!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Roxana_u

I hope you're well and safe!

In an Update Request, it's not possible to set any field as required.

As a possible workaround, you could use a Workflow that would trigger another Update Request until all required fields are filled in.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• CaraBart28
    CaraBart28 ✭✭✭✭

When you go in to the form to edit it, click on the question that you would like to make a required question, over on the right-hand side you will see the field settings and there is a toggle for required. When you click the toggle you will see it then makes and asterisk next to the question indicating the question is required.

• Hi CaraBart28,

I have already marked the required fields in my form, but it does not apply with Request an Update. It only works if I send the link to the form directly. But in that case Smartsheet adds a new row, does not update the existing information in the rows that are already created.

Thank you anyway!

• Thank you Andrée Starå! That workaround might work, but I do not know how to set up another Workflow that requests an update after the answers have been submitted. In my current Workflow, if the status changes to "Supervisor contacted", an email is sent to the contacts in cell "Supervisor mail". I tried including a condition after "Request an update" where I indicated that if any of the required fields came blank, another Request be submitted, but both requests are sent at the same time, so I must be doing something wrong.. I think I should create a workflow where Request an update is triggered by a blank field, but I do not know how to do that. Any suggestions?

Thank you again!

• @Andrée Starå Can you please send directions on how to set up a separate workflow that triggers when the update comes back with some blank field?