Adding "Created by" column is auto populating every row with my name

Options

I have a Risk Register with about two dozen rows of data. I want to add a "created by" column, so I can track who is entering risks. But when add the column and save, my name is appearing is all the rows as if I entered all the risks, which I have not.

I'm thinking there is no way around this, is there?

Tags:

Answers

• Scott Peters
    Scott Peters ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello Berto - I have the same experience in any sheet where I pre-populate some rows with basic starter data like row IDs or sample risks. To get around this, we include a manual entry contact column for "Reported By". The other value of doing this manually is giving credit where credit is due: Just because someone adds a risk to one of my sheets doesn't mean they're the person who actually discovered the risk, and I might want to talk to the person who actually called it out.

Helpful?

• Berto D
    Berto D ✭✭
    Options

Yes, we've had the same discussion on our end. Another option for us is to view the cell activity, and there we can see who entered it and when.

• SmartLew
    SmartLew ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you added data into the row to start with, then you are the creator and this will always show.

Are you adding rows for people to subsequently edit?

Would a modified by column help? Then you could see the last person to edit the row

I'm passionate about helping you leverage the truly awesome power of smartsheet!

https://www.fiverr.com/smartlew