Adding "Created by" column is auto populating every row with my name

I have a Risk Register with about two dozen rows of data. I want to add a "created by" column, so I can track who is entering risks. But when add the column and save, my name is appearing is all the rows as if I entered all the risks, which I have not.

I'm thinking there is no way around this, is there?

Tags:

Answers

• Scott Peters
    Scott Peters ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Berto - I have the same experience in any sheet where I pre-populate some rows with basic starter data like row IDs or sample risks. To get around this, we include a manual entry contact column for "Reported By". The other value of doing this manually is giving credit where credit is due: Just because someone adds a risk to one of my sheets doesn't mean they're the person who actually discovered the risk, and I might want to talk to the person who actually called it out.

Helpful?

• Berto D
    Berto D ✭✭

Yes, we've had the same discussion on our end. Another option for us is to view the cell activity, and there we can see who entered it and when.

• SmartLew
    SmartLew ✭✭✭✭

If you added data into the row to start with, then you are the creator and this will always show.

Are you adding rows for people to subsequently edit?

Would a modified by column help? Then you could see the last person to edit the row

I'm passionate about helping you leverage the truly awesome power of smartsheet!

https://www.fiverr.com/smartlew