Reassign Contacts with Automation

Options

Our accounting team regularly reassigns projects to new managers/staff and I need to find a way to automate the change once a date has been reached. In the example below I would want the contact to change from Joe to Jim once the Estimated Transition Date has been reached. The problem is I need this to be a 1 time write since the assignments will be adjusted again in a few months.

My first thought was to copy the row to a new sheet when the transition date passed and have the primary sheet do a index/match on the second set of columns on the new sheet. The challenge with this was how to handle new projects and I can't have the index/match do a lookup from the bottom to the top. Has anyone come up with a solution for this or feel like taking on a challenge? erm... @Paul Newcome

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @JCluff

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored using Workflows combined with the Assign People Action?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• JCluff
    JCluff ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå - The only way I think I can make Assign People Action work would be a helper column for each future assignment column to calculate the name of the individual entered in the cell but in text format. Then I would have to do an automation for every user for every column. It's doable but VERY manual and NOT change friendly.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!