% Complete based on unrelated tasks?

My project plan has 1000+ lines built with parent and child tasks. I can see progress of each design item and task (ie: design item release has 20 tasks, formatted so the progress to release is the parent showing overall % complete of that design item). The project has 18 design items.

I've been asked to report on a mid-release state for all design items (ie: how are we progressing to all 18 design items up to each item's "task 10"). How can I best calculate % complete on this without having to recreate my sheet, or duplicate lines just for this request?

Answers

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni

Off the top of my head, the best way to do this would be with 2 helper columns. Add one column to find out if it is a child task, and add another that determines which child task it is (first, second, etc). I don't know exactly how you have your hierarchy, but I used the following formulas to create the following counts (shown in an image below).

Helper 1

=COUNT(ANCESTORS())

Helper 2

=IF([Helper 1]@row = 1, [Helper 2]9 + 1)

Once you have that in place, then what you would need to do is run reports or point your metrics at anything that had the numbers 1-10 in the Helper 2 column.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks David, that's an interesting solution I hadn't considered!

I'm not sure I follow how that will summarize the % complete on tasks 1-10 within the 18 design items, but I'll give it a shot. 🙂

Rachel

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni

Instead of writing a formula to check all of the CHILDREN() under the parent design item, you will tell the formula or report to only gather the tasks that have a 1-10, giving you only the tasks you are looking for.