Form entry data - need to copy and link certain cells to other sheet

EmooreHR
EmooreHR ✭✭
edited 10/05/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Good afternoon! I'm trying to create a workflow to support an approval and review process for recruiting. I created a sheet with a form, and some of the form data needs to automatically feed into another sheet based on certain criteria met. I set a workflow to copy to another sheet based on that which works fine. My issue is that in each row, there are additional columns that will have action items in the main sheet that need to link to the other sheet as well so that team is notified when they have an action item. When I add the links, the new form entries go into a new line below the linked cells instead, where the links aren't set. Is there any way to automate this without having to link cells manually every time I need to make an update? We have a few different teams that will all need various data from the original sheet, so I need this workflow for a few groups, but haven't made it past the first one because of this hiccup.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @EmooreHR

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet, and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

To connect them row by row, you'd use an Autonumber Column in the Source sheet and add a so-called helper column to manually add the row id on as many rows as you think you need in the Destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andree, Thank you so much for the prompt response! Is there a video or tutorial with step by step for what you described somewhere?