How can i Prepopulate a form with test processes from another smartsheet?

Hi,

I am trying to build a smart sheet that will collate our user acceptance testing results for multiple test scripts, (held on one smart sheet) and then the form that is sent to the users populates their responses.

I want the form to populate with the test script descriptions once they select the test script number they are testing.

Is this possible? I have tried without success to use the URL string, but i keep getting an unparsable response.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

David

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @David White

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, If I understand you correctly, you should be able to use the URL-Query feature to make it work.

Can you share some screenshots and the formula/URL you're trying? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. 

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

I am well thank you, i trust you are likewise.

The screen shot below shows the form we want our testers to complete. I have created the test scripts in another sheet, where each Step (number) - Action is documented.

When the user selects the test that they are performing, the form brings in the number of steps that are relevant to that test. I would like the Step -Action to populate with the step details as per the second screen shot. This is where i am getting stuck.

THank you for your help in advance.

David

• Michael Culley
    Michael Culley ✭✭✭✭✭

I did something similar to this on a form but the way I did it was using the logic feature on the form. In your case, you would apply the logic to the Test Reference # Question. Then you would do IF Test Reference is BR01.2 - Statement Unload, show whatever column you want with whatever default text you want. You'd have to reorganize scripts sheet to pull this off but I don't believe there's any other way to do what you're trying to do.

• Thanks Michael, That was my initial thought also, using the default text option, but that means plugging in all the scripts to the default section, which is a pain, but I suppose not much more than i am in now :)

THank you for your suggestion also.