Check a box when a match for a value is found on another sheet

Options

Hi everyone,

I have a sheet called Parts Database used to track parts as they go through a production process. Screenshot below. Currently, workers check off the status of each part as they go, which is not practical with the quantity of parts.

Ideally, I want them to be able to fill in a response form at the end of the day listing out all of the parts that have completed the "Bend" step that day, separated by commas. I want the Parts Database [Bend] column to check a box when the Part # at its row is entered onto the Response Form. Note that there are a mix of positive, negative, and regular Part #s, so the search has to be able to distinguish between these options.

Any ideas how I could accomplish this?

Thanks!

Answers

• Darren Mullen
    Darren Mullen ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Sequoia Pinterits

You could have them fill out the form as you suggest with the part numbers, then you would need to write a formula on your checkbox that would look to see if any of the form entries for a given data contain the part number on that specific row.

You would also need to have a date to reference to the created date in the form submission sheet so that you aren't looking at part numbers from a different day.

One pitfall would be if a part number was entered wrong, your formula wouldn't find it. You could have a multi-select dropdown on the form pre-populated with the part numbers to help alleviate some of that date entry

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!