Is there a way to copy a single field to another sheet with Data Shuttle or in another manner?

I need to copy a Key field to various sheets at certain points in the processing. We keep having errors on the sheet [running out of space] when everything is on one sheet, so we are separating out based on processing criteria. We do not want all of the row to move, as this is where are trying to save fields and keep the sheets easier to manage. Important details and the Profile data will be meshed in as the key field moves.

Would it be similar steps as we use to auto update the dropdown options on sheets? Or is there another way to copy only one field to another sheet?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ZennerJ

I hope you're well and safe!

This might help!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ZennerJ
    ZennerJ ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå

Thank you for your help with my question.

We are trying to stay away from formulas as we usually have over 10,000 rows with 30-45 columns. The column formulas on sheets that big slow it down too much. Meshing the data has fixed many issues for us. We are working to bring the number of columns down to around 20 per processing sheet so we do not have to archive the rows too quickly for our processing purposes.

Maybe I'm missing something, but you're still trying to move entire rows, and not just one field. How do I get the primary field to the final destination sheet if its value is not already on there? Vlookup and Index Match require at least one field value to be on both sheets, correct? If the second sheet does not have a shared value, is there another way to place the information besides copy/move row? Am I missing an easy solution?

Think of it this way -

process 1 - completed - move one field to initiate work on process 2 sheet

process 2 - mesh brings in needed info for processing to be completed - updated information copied to process 3 sheet

process 3 - establishes and maintains status of record (cumulative data entry control)

process 4 - status complete - final processing

process 5 - finalized data shuttled to other system and row to be archived

How do I get the ONE primary field to move between the first two processes if there is not a shared value? I'm missing what triggers or what formula will fill the second helper sheet in your solution so I can get it to the next processing step. We already have process 2 thru 5 going, I just need to separate out Process 1 to it's own sheet without the entire row moving or copying over to process 2. If this works, we'll separate out more processes to help keep the sheets more stable and functional. Our processing needs are increasing at such a rate that we need a viable solution in the very immediate future - we can't rebuild the system in the time we have.

Please let me know if you have further thoughts on a solution.

Best,

Jean

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!