Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

What's the statute of limitations for deleted workspaces?

badunc
badunc
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I'm the account admin for my company.  A user was terminated with no notice in November of 2015.  I removed her account a few weeks after that.  She had shared some sheets with me for technical assistance and I kept them around for at least 90 days.  Sometime fairly recently (can't remember exactly, might have been less than 30 days but maybe longer than that) I deleted the workspace and sheets.  Now, of course, someone wants one of the fired person's sheets back.

The help documentation says that the owner can undelete for 30 days.  However, I wasn't the owner and the user is no longer in the system.  Is there a way to get sheets back in this scenario?  I'm assuming not but I promised the requester that I would ask. Thanks!

Comments

• Are you sure that you deleted the workspace and sheets? That's a privilege only reserved for a workspace/sheet owner.

Check your own deleted items section under Home > More > Deleted Items.

If you don't see what you need there, either they were permanently deleted (after 30 days), or you weren't the owner and the sheets were permanently deleted since the owner was switched to free (after 90 days). In either of those cases, there isn't an option for recovery.

• Thanks, Shaine.  Actually, I'm not sure at all if I deleted them!  I do remember thinking about it but as I was typing yesterday I realized that I probably couldn't because I definitely was not the owner.  They are not under my deleted items and the explanation of auto-deletion after 90 days makes perfect sense.  Thanks again!

• It's a long shot, but you might try contacting our Support team to see if there's anything they can do.

They likely won't be able to undelete the workspace, but they might (again, long shot) be able to help you recover the sheets you need. 

• To be honest, I'm going to leave it alone because there are organizational and personal politics at play.  Besides, 90 days is a very reasonable retention period and waiting over 6 months to look for something isn't terribly realistic.

This discussion has been closed.