New Search UI Oct 31, 2022

Options

The new Search Results UI that was just rolled out is absolutely terrible. Any exact match to the keyword searched does not display at the top of the search results, but rather is buried in the results. Two separate examples attached.

First example, the numbers "813" were searched. Notice that the displayed results don't have any exact matches, but appear to be close matches. An exact match is found only after scrolling down the search results.

Would be curious what the feedback is on this, because this feature has caused nothing but headaches since rolling out (without any notice of roll out).

Tags:

Comments

• Hans Feng
    Hans Feng ✭✭
    edited 11/02/22
    Options

We experience the same issue with the new search UI. Is there a way we can go back to the original search UI?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Conor D & @Hans Feng

I hope you're well and safe!

Try surrounding your search with " " to search for an exact match.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hans Feng
    Options
  • Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Hans Feng

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• KBoutonCyber
    Options

Adding Quotes nor asterisks will work completely within multiple sheets to be searched. I regularly depend on a search within 4 different sheets to find the history (more than 5 years of history) of an item. The new search process isn't thorough by bringing up all sources of said item being searched...if it brings any up at all. Myself and my co-worker have searched various ways on various sheets, knowing that an item is listed on 1 or more sheets, to no avail. We must now go to each sheet, sort on a customer and scan each line item until we find what we are looking for. This method is not efficient in our environment of so many items that we track on a daily basis on multiple sheets. The search results used to show the results for all sheets that the item was contained in and categorized them, including the last date that line item was edited, not the sheet itself which is useless when you are needing something from a specific time period. The bottom screenshot is how I need my search results from ALL pages-sorry I don't have my own screenshot. The 2nd is the new search results that is not showing the results of the item listed in the Plates Received sheet.

• Conor D
    Conor D ✭✭
    Options

Surrounding keyword in "quotes" does seem to work for now, although this should not be the permanent solution. This is not intuitive and only adds extra keystrokes when someone is trying to make a quick search. This is not a good UI at all, especially when employees are working under pressure to make a quick search.

Either this needs to be fixed so that using "quotes" is not required, or needs to revert to the previous Search UI until someone can actually come up with a somewhat functional search UI.

• Cog
    Options

Conor D's scenario highlights a significant problem with the new Search UI.

"Surrounding keyword in "quotes" does seem to work for now, although this should not be the permanent solution. This is not intuitive and only adds extra keystrokes when someone is trying to make a quick search. This is not a good UI at all, especially when employees are working under pressure to make a quick search."

The new search UI is a step backwards. Adding extra keystrokes unecessarly is baffling. The resulting "hits" render as if part of C- high school project.

Please correct the new search UI so using quotes is not required, or better yet, roll back to the previous search UI.

Thanks.

• artector
    Options

How is it that my very very very specific search, that should've only come back with a single entry, comes up with a list full of irrelevant data? Of the 50 returned results, there is only 1 match, and it sits in 9th position of supposedly relevant results!! ABSURD!!!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@artector

Try adding " " around the search, and it should work.

• artector
    Options

Thank you Andree. I just did, and it does work, but it's not how it used to work. I've been using Smartsheet for over a decade, and performed thousands of searches without a hiccup. For smartsheet to all of a sudden introduce such a major change, without putting much effort in to letting me know on how the new search function will work, and the fact that I now need to add quotation marks to my search to make it accurate, caught me by surprise and frustrated the daylights out of me. I was given no notification from SS of any kind to tell me that smartsheet now requires the use of e of quotes, asterisks, etc. to make it produce reliable results.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@artector

Happy to help! Yes, I understand the frustration and agree that there needs to be more of a heads-up regarding significant changes like these. In the end, it will be better than what we had.

• artector
    Options

Search problems ensued! Quote or no quotes, smartsheet can't locate the needed record... :(

• Anthony K
    Options

Please reverse the change to new search UI. Search not working at all half the time, difficult the rest of the time. Filter now also seems to fail. Can Smartsheet please return to old UI and 'iron out the kinks' internally and off line rather than disrupting everyone else. This change literally adding work hours to our week by making records unfindable. Destroys the usefulness of Smartsheet. You've had a few days to get new one fixed and its still terrible, scrap it and move on please. Or least give us the old one until you fix it.

• Conor D
    Conor D ✭✭
    Options

@Lekshmi Unnithan You really need to look at the feedback on here and make some meaningful action considering you posted the original "Product Announcement". Obviously there are serious issues here with this New Search UI and there needs to be a fix ASAP. This has been going on for far too long and there has been no update from anyone representing Smartsheet.