Engineer Bookings

Options

Hi,

Bit of a complicated one which I'm not sure how to achieve!

We have one Master Projects list that shows all our active projects for the year as individual rows. It's mammoth with around 30 columns that track a project from inception to completion.

We then show individual departments their relevant information using Reports to show data pertinent to them.

The problem with the One Sheet approach (rather than an individual Smartsheet per Project) is that the resource tracking does not work here. Using the Legacy Resource Management view, we can see engineers are booked against the Master Projects worksheet and not against the Row information - which shows client name, job title, etc. As such, all engineers are shown as booked against Master Projects - it can't show what the actual job really is.

What I'm trying to create is a separate Engineer Allocation sheet that shows all our engineers in one column, then showing what they're booked on and for what durations, and viewable in a Gantt view. I also want it to show all our Engineers that aren't allocated on a job, so we can see where their gaps are.

At the moment, the master sheet looks like this - with engineer names populating the 'Crew' column:

Any help on how to achieve this would be much appreciated!

Thank you

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Mikejbreen

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored using the Premium App, Resource Management by Smartsheet instead?

Is that an option?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mikejbreen
    Options

Hi Andree, we have actually - but the issue seems to stem from the fact that we have 1 Smartsheet for all our projects, rather than a separate sheet for each project. As such, Resource Management doesn't work as it thinks our Master Spreadsheet is one single project, and doesn't see the rows as individual projects. Does that make sense? Thank you

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!