Sharing a folder in a workspace

Options

We created a workspace called "Active Projects" to share with the full company and are wanting to share specific folders in that workspace with customer project team as "commenters".

I found it seems I can only share at the workspace level.

Is there a better way to manage this so that I can share all folders with the company as commenters and then the customer users at the folder level inside the workspace.

This is critical as we cannot share all customer folders with other customer project teams.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Lindsey Digue

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored using Contact Groups to help with the process?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Lindsey Digue
    Options

Hmm.. I looked into it, but it looks like I need to have it setup by sales to get started. From my short research though it looks like it requires a completely separate login and may be more effort than I am hoping for the process when adding new projects as it happens regularly and is maintained by a larger group of PMs to share with the customer.

To do what I am hoping to (share a large group of folders with internal company and subset of folders with customers) is there a better solution outside of dynamic views? Could I maybe make a workspace inside a workspace but still have the ability to copy/paste the template folders?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Lindsey Digue

No, you don't need another login. You only need to have the Group Admin feature enabled by your Account Admin (if you're not one).

I'd recommend creating one internal and external Workspace.

Another option could be the WorkApps feature and maybe a Collab pack.

Would any of those options work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Lindsey Digue
    Options

The all the folders in the workspace are meant to be shared with everyone in the inernal company, but then each individual folder created in the workspace was meant to be shared with the individual customer - so having an internal and external would not work.

I didn't see an option in the work apps because we are also having to "save as new" for the template sheets, reports and dashboard to each of the new folders and I did not see a good option for that other than the save as new option without causing issues with the templates I created. I might be wrong there.

What if I created separate workspaces within the workspaces instead - would I be able to share the parent workspace with the larger company and they would still have access to all child workspaces without having to share out individually? And then share the child workspaces to the customers?

• Lindsey Digue
    Options

scratch that last comment, I realized afterward you cannot create a workspace within a workspace.

I think my only (simple) option will be to create a workspace for each new customer separately. Is there a good way to archive a workspace? I am looking to declutter when a project closes so we don't have a pile up of old project workspaces hanging out there.