Moving rows across sheets without adding new columns to the destination sheet

We are using smartsheets to automate our business development lifecycle process. To do so, we have built a sequence of individual sheets which all have their own unique columns characteristics by design so that our process architecture is modular. As expected, we simply are using sheet forms to populate data into our select source sheets. We have built several automation workflows and dashboards with ease thus far.

But..., we seem to have run into a roadblock where we cant figure out how to move a portion of a row within a source sheet column to a destination sheet column without introducing unnecessary additional columns to the destination sheet. We have an automation workflow setup on the source sheet to simply look for when "any value" is added to a specific column of interest, then we want to move that data to a new sheet . Unfortunately, adding columns to destination sheets is very undesirable to our current setup. We understand this can be done manually by created cross sheet links but that will not help if/when new rows are added to the source sheet from a process automation perspective.

Hoping there is a simple formula we are overlooking here as a new smartsheet end user.

Any help is appreciated!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mike Zezza

I hope you're well and safe!

You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.

Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.