Copy/Paste Permission Issue

Options
Karina
Karina
edited 04/05/24 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a member of my team that attempted to copy/paste some information from a sheet where his permission level is "Editor - can share" to another sheet where his permission level is the exact same, but was told he could not. Full disclosure we have a workspace and that is his default permission level so anything added should give him that basic access.

Today he attempted to copy information from one of those pages to another and got an error message stating "You do not have sufficient permission on this sheet to make this change", but this Help Article says that he does: https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/770589-copying-a-row-to-another-sheet#:~:text=People%20with%20Owner%2C%20Admin%2C%20and,rows%20to%20a%20new%20sheet

Here are some screenshots to help!

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Double check the column names and types. If they are not an exact match and/or there is a column in the sheet he is copying from that is not in the sheet he is copying to, then the copy row will want to create a new column that has a matching name and type. You must have Admin or Owner permissions to create a new column. So the issue may not necessarily be related to permissions required to copy a row but more permissions to create a new column. You will even need to double check any "hidden" columns as those would copy over as well.

• "Your source and destination columns should have the same column names. If the source and destination sheets have different column names or types, data from the row you copied appears in new columns to the right of the existing columns in the destination sheet. If this occurs, scroll to the right to find the data, copy it, then paste it into the desired columns."

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Double check the column names and types. If they are not an exact match and/or there is a column in the sheet he is copying from that is not in the sheet he is copying to, then the copy row will want to create a new column that has a matching name and type. You must have Admin or Owner permissions to create a new column. So the issue may not necessarily be related to permissions required to copy a row but more permissions to create a new column. You will even need to double check any "hidden" columns as those would copy over as well.

• "Your source and destination columns should have the same column names. If the source and destination sheets have different column names or types, data from the row you copied appears in new columns to the right of the existing columns in the destination sheet. If this occurs, scroll to the right to find the data, copy it, then paste it into the desired columns."
  • Karina
    Options

Ah! I saw that but it didn't directly state it would give an error, so I was concerned.

Thank you Paul!

• KatherineS
    Options

My columns/types all match. I am the owner of both sheets, but I'm still getting the permission error.