Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Multiple Filters In Reports that Collaborators can Choose/Select

Options
MichaelTCA
MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I want to be able to develop 1 master log and create reports and forms for employees to use to change or add data. In order to change filters, I believe you need more permissions than an editor.

To follow through with my idea, the editors would need to be able to change the filters.

What if we had the option to lock or unlock individual or group filters within reports?

For example, if I want an employee to look up an order, they can enter the order number in the filters. I can set the report to have multiple filters ("locked") to minimize clutter, but would like to see editors able to change any "unlocked" filters.

This will definitely increase productivity and help with error handling for employees with minimal permissions. Also, if I have multiple reports created for each individual employee, they would be able to lookup data without changing someone else's lookup.

Multiple reports for individuals could also call for permissions to be granted per report and not granted for the whole workspace. I don't want to give the whole company admin permissions, but would like a little more flexibility for editors.

35 votes

On Wishlist · Last Updated

We love this idea too! While it's not a part of our current plan, our team is thinking about how we can expand customized access to filters and data every day. If we believe we can make this idea a reality, we'll plan to update the status here.

Comments

• M.ernst
    M.ernst ✭✭
    Options

Hello,

It would be a very useful tool to be able to save & re-use filters in a report. Similar to how it works in a sheet.

Thank you for your consideration!

• Chizu Hieida
    Chizu Hieida ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

it'll also be super useful if Dashboard Report widget can have collaborator level filter.. where they can modify their own filter but it will not mess up the original filter. :) 😍

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This sounds like what Dynamic View does (individual and shared filters even within a report).

The sharing piece sounds like something that is already possible. You can adjust permissions on every individual item as needed without having to adjust at the workspace level.

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Paul Newcome Ya. It's tough to have a report be as functional as a sheet without being able to adjust filters on both by everyone. My biggest issue is that I'm trying to keep the sheets separate from the reports. I want employees to use reports and not change sheets while still being able to manipulate what is viewed without an admin. I have control over the columns presented in reports which is a feature not offered in sheets. Then I can use 1 master sheet with 150 columns for me to use and 5 reports with 30 columns each for procedure.

I have to share the sheet and report in order for the employee to see the data within the report.

Also, this throws in a twist when using the search bar, since I don't want employees in the sheets.

I'll have to look at Dynamic view, but I'm trying to restrict editing in some areas to focus on procedure, but still being allowed to be an editor. I also want to present the columns that are restricted. I know column functions and locked cells in the sheet will prevent this, but there are a couple others who are not admins that need to be able to work with the data in the master log.

So I have to pick my poison.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/17/23
    Options

It sounds like Dynamic View is going to be exactly what you need. You can set fields as read only, hide fields, apply logic to hide fields based on the value in another, show fields as editable or read only based on logic. You can allow users to use shared filters, and users can also create their own filters.

• Cole Lusty
    Cole Lusty ✭✭✭
    edited 10/31/23
    Options

Instead of creating multiple separate reports, being able to have one report with multiple filters. For example: a lookahead report that contains views for: 1 week, 2 week, 4 week. The user can change the view from the report and see different situations without having to navigate between multiple reports

• MattS345
    Options

Filters on reports should have the same option as sheets to turn on and off certain filters. Having to delete and add them back every time I'd like to see data without the filter is frustrating and ruins the flow of thoughts I am having.

• rosegarretson
    rosegarretson ✭✭✭✭
    Options

We have a massive sheet and multiple reports created for individuals. Being able to let them create and save multiple filters (like in a sheet) would be very helpful. Please....please....please....! <3

• Miley G
    Options

Echoing the above comments. We have reports used by multiple individuals, who require varying filtering & sorting needs. Being able to create and save multiple filters (like is available within a sheet) would make a dramatic improvement to our team's use of Smartsheet.