Changing the name on the automation emails not working.

Options

I have an automation set up on a sheet that I am the owner of. One in particular is going out to our employees in the field. I want to ensure that my name does not display at the top before it says sent "via Smartsheet". I am a project manager and we have a separate Smartsheet account that is ITPMO@ourcompanyemail.com. I logged into that account, updated my automation, and then saved it. It now says "last updated by itpmo@ourcompanyemail.com". When I test my automation it's still sending with my name. It worked correctly the first time I tested it, but now it's just not working. What else can I do so it sends with the ITPMO in the sent email rather than my own?

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Instead of updating, try deleting the original and recreating it under the new profile so that the ITPMO account is the owner of the workflow.

• BethWork
    BethWork ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Paul Newcome I logged into the IT PMO account, deleted the automation, recreated it (still logged into that account). I then triggered the automation on that sheet from my account. It still came through with my name and not IT PMO. The second test I did was to log back into IT PMO and triggered the automation on that sheet from that account. It worked with the second test.

Test 1: After deleting and recreating the automation I then triggered the automation from my person account and not the ITPMO account. It displayed my name and not ITPMO

Test 2: I logged back into ITPMO and triggered the automation on the sheet from ITPMO account and it came through correctly.

Test 3: Coworker logged into their account and triggered the automation on the sheet and it then came through with her email.

Eventually, this automation will send automatically and the trigger won't be the action of checking a box. I think that will eventually solve the problem. However, it was my understanding that whoever last saved the automation is the name/account that would display on the sent email.

This is an example from one of the tests that worked.

Any other ideas for the time being?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @BethWork

Who appears as the name in the automation will depend on who triggered the alert, as you've found! Meaning that if the trigger for the workflow is a box being checked, the user that does the action of checking the box will be associated with the email.

However, if you set this up to be a time-based workflow (e.g. hourly or daily) then it will come from the Sheet Owner instead.

This Help Article has more information:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• BethWork
    BethWork ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. Thank you! I kind of figured that might be the case after testing. It's not ideal, but it's manageable for now for the needs of the sheet. I appreciate your help!

• BethWork
    BethWork ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P.

I ran another test based off your response and it still didn't work. I adjusted the automation to a time-based automation and it still send with my name at the top instead of IT PMO. I was planning on using the time-based automation to send the bulk of the emails out to recipients for the duration of the project. It's not manageable to log into the account and trigger the alerts manually ever time. Would I need to change the sheet owner to IT PMO instead?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @BethWork

Yes, exactly - in the instance of a time-based automation, the Sheet Owner is associated with the email. This means that whatever name you want associated needs to be the owner of the Sheet (not the workflow).

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. Thanks for stepping in! I could have sworn it was the owner of the workflow, but apparently I was mistaken.