Header data and drilling down to details

AgataDrozdz
edited 01/12/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello, I would like to create a report and then distribute a form to a group of people who will populate the data - "header" data and then details. Is it possible to group certain columns into one header and avoid repeating the header data for each line? Ideally I would like to have one form to be distributed to the people and not asking them to submit the results 10 times. I hope I'm clear.. Many thanks for help!

Agata

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@AgataDrozdz

Do not understand. Please provide examples and more description.

• Thanks Mike! So I will try to explain better: I need to create a questionnaire where I will ask recipients to provide answers about given process. There will be general questions, like for instance "your name", "date" etc. and then detailed questions, for instance: please select and test 10 shipments and provide answers to each of the 10 shipments (there are a lot of questions for every shipment). I think it would be best to have each tested shipment in a separate raw in the report? How to create such form?

• Hi @AgataDrozdz

What I would do in this instance is have two forms:

• One form collects the first set of information (Name, etc), then when the form is submitted, the page refreshes to show the SECOND form.
    • The Second form collects the shipment information, one form filled out per-line. Each time the form is submitted it refreshes to show the SAME form again

See: Manage form display and submission options

You would need to ask them to fill out one field the same in all submissions (e.g. perhaps email address or first name, each time). Then you can use a Report to bring all of your form submissions into one place and Group by that unique value (Name). As long as they filled in the name the same each time, this will group all the rows together from that person in one section.

See: Configure grouping to organize results in report builder

If your form users have Smartsheet accounts, an alternative would be to adjust the Settings so they have to sign in to Smartsheet first, before filling out the forms. Then have a Created By column in the sheet that automatically grabs their email address so they don't have to fill this out each time. Then you can group the Report by that email.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @AgataDrozdz

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Genevieve's excellent advice/answer.

I developed a solution using two forms (or the same form by using conditional logic) that can be used to submit the main information and then the other information on a new row for each submission after the first.

I'd be happy to share an example. 

Please email me at andree@workbold.com, and I'll share it with you.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.