Counting Blank Cells

PMOGal
PMOGal ✭✭✭✭✭

I am counting the blank cells in a column ([Test Outcome]. I have 297 rows. The choices in this column are either PASS, FAIL or a blank cell. I want to count the number of cells that are blank. Here is my formula:

=COUNTIF([Test Outcome]:[Test Outcome], ISBLANK(@cell)) - 10

In the past I read that I must use -10 as Smartsheet pads the answer. I've done this before and the correct answer has been returned.

Today, the result returned is 297. It should be 295 because two of the rows have cells with PASS in them.

Did something change in Smartsheet?

Best Answer

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @PMOGal

I normally count another column that has a value and compare that against the status/Test Outcome column. For example, if there was a PROJECT column and a STATUS column, I would write the formula like this:

=COUNTIFS(PROJECT:PROJECT, <>"", STATUS:STATUS, "")

It reads, If the Project column is not blank and the Status (or Test Outcome) column is blank, then could the blanks in the Status column.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @PMOGal

I normally count another column that has a value and compare that against the status/Test Outcome column. For example, if there was a PROJECT column and a STATUS column, I would write the formula like this:

=COUNTIFS(PROJECT:PROJECT, <>"", STATUS:STATUS, "")

It reads, If the Project column is not blank and the Status (or Test Outcome) column is blank, then could the blanks in the Status column.

I hope that helps.

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• PMOGal
    PMOGal ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply. Using the formula you gave me:

=COUNTIFS([Area to be Tested]:[Area to be Tested], <>"", [Test Outcome]:[Test Outcome], "")

It works! Thanks.