Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Column headers not available to select from Excel import

Options
Eric W.
Eric W. ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I have imported many Excel files to Smartsheet.  however, I cannot figure out why I cannot select the column headers from my Excel file as the column headers in Smartsheet.  

I've tried changing thigns in Excel in attempt to support the import:

• cell type from "general" to "text
  • removing filter option
  • removing and adding text wrapping
  • removing freeze panes
  • I tried saving the file as .xlsx vs. .xls (tried both formats)

Excel_column_header.png

SS_column_headers.png

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

It looks they are a different cell type. Try adding a new row to your Excel file and copy and paste just the text from the first row to the new row - then import. Does that work?

• Eric W.
    Eric W. ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Travis,

That did not work.

I did copy just the data into a whole new Excel file and that seemed to work.

Thanks for the input.

Eric

• Krissy Scheffer
    edited 05/31/16
    Options

I'm also experiencing this issue. Has there been a resolution? 

• Kennedy Stomps
    Options

Hi Krissy, can you try right-clicking the desired tab to import in your Excel workbook and select Move or Copy... and use the dropdown under "To book:" to select New Book and check the box for "Create a Copy"? This will create a copy of your sheet in a new Excel workbook. Then, try importing this newly created file. I have seen this resolve importing issues in the past.

If not, please send me a copy of the Excel file you're attempting to import at Kennedy.Stomps@Smartsheet.com and I'll be happy to assist further.

• Thank you! I emailed the file. 

• jkendley34311
    Options

I have tried the steps above and my 439-row spreadsheet still previews the import starting at row 359, not showing header rows.

Can I send it to you to take a look?

• Adam Brizuela
    Options

Has there been a fix for this or has anyone figured out a work around? 

• hanseric
    hanseric ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was having this issue too and it turned out to be a second sheet was feeding values to the main sheet somehow (it was someone else's sheet that they asked me to use as the import to create a new smartsheet).

Once I deleted the second sheet and manually gave the column a new header, the SS import recognized the column headers.

This discussion has been closed.