Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Multiple choice option?

Loann McGee
Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Good afternoon,

A question was asked of me today if there is multiple choice column in development. We use the drop-down list column, but one that allows you to choose multiple entries would be fantastic.

Blessings,

Loann

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 06/29/15

There isn’t a way at the at the moment to select multiple choices, but users could manually type in multiple choices into a Dropdown list cell.

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭

And you can select multiple options from the drop-down? I was unaware! ;-)

• Sorry, I created a new topic before I found this one. Travis, could you elaborate? I have a web form that was created by someone else, and it does not seem to allow me to type in a multiple-choice drop-down box. How would I set one up that allows a user to type in the box as one of the choices?

Thanks, P

• Travis
    Travis Employee

P - my suggestion was for adding multiple items in grid view, web forms will not allow you to do this. There is a workaround to give the appearance of selecting multiple items from a single field in a web form. Here it is:

1. Create separate checkbox columns for each answer 

2. When designing the Form, create a Heading/Description section divider (found under Add Field) with the Question text as either the Heading or Description. 

3. Add each of the answer columns as fields below the section divider. 

4. On each of the checkbox fields change the Display Type to have 'Caption to the right'. 

​Doing the above will simulate a multi-select option for a question. For more on Form design, see http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/522221

• Kara Lumley
    Kara Lumley Employee
    edited 05/10/19

Hi everyone, 

I'm pleased to announce that the Multi Select Dropdown project is in development. 

Thank you for the passion, and thanks for the patience.

Kara

• Hello Kara

What is the update on this development?

Regards

Ali

• Hello Ali,

Yes, we are very excited about releasing this, however I am not allowed to share the specific release date.

I would love to hear your feedback after you have a chance to use it, which will not be very much longer, I promise.

Thank you,

Kara

• Smartsheet Community,

Here at Smartsheet, we use Smartsheet for pretty much everything. We are acutely aware (mostly) of the pain points and missing functionality that you, our valued Community members, discuss here as well.

The inability to select multiple options from a dropdown column has been one of the most agonizing, irritating, functional gaps when using Smartsheet.

Over the past 7 months, our team of development engineers, plus ux experts, quality assurance engineers, and product, used Smartsheet to coordinate impeccable timing with almost every other internal team at Smartsheet, including mobile, automation, forms, and reporting, to deliver some long-awaited news.

I’m very very pleased to announce a brand new column, available to everyone, today.

In the column options, you'll find Dropdown (Multi Select). 

Thank you for your patience, user stories, and feedback.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2480081-dropdown-list-column-type

Thank you,

Kara

This discussion has been closed.